- Withholding should begin no later than the first pay period after the order/notice is received.
- When dealing with multiple orders for an employee, the employer should fulfill the current obligations first
before fulfilling the past due obligations.
- To report a lump sum payment, the employer should consider the following:
If the answer is “yes”
to both questions, the employer must notify the OAG of the lump sum prior to distributing the payment
to the employee.
- Is the order from the OAG?
- Is the lump sum gross payment $500 or more?
- A lump sum payment includes when an employee cashes out his/her vacation or other leave time for payment.
- If an employee has more than one child support obligation, the lump sum payment should be applied equally to
all the cases.
- Lump sum payments and severance pay payments are not handled the same. Severance pay payments are different.
- When signing up to receive income withholding orders electronically, an employer should use an email address where
many people can access to avoid missing an order.
- Employers have two business days to retrieve the income withholding orders electronically. If not retrieved within
that time frame, the orders will be mailed to the employer.
Please Select a Topic